Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Más Vale Tarde Que Nunca

The students in our chapter of Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica decided that, even it it was a day late, they wanted to put up an ofrenda at the school to generate interest and to educate the student body on the meaning of the holiday. 




I want to take a moment to offer a special thanks to our SHH chapter president.  She is a minor and I don't have parental permission to put up a photo or mention her name here, but she is a super star!  She organized the effort, stayed late after school, lead the group that put up the ofrenda, and created an informational poster to help people understand the meaning of Day of the Dead and how it differs from Halloween.  She did all of this without any prodding from me and with no incentive whatsoever (no grade, no extra credit, no name up in lights).  She is, quite honestly, one of the best people I have ever had the privilege of calling my student.  (And if you knew just exactly how amazing my students are, you would realize what a compliment that is!).  She is headed for great things in the future and I can't wait to see what she does with her life.


Do I have amazing students or what?!  I hope your Día de Muertos was a good one, amigos.

Hasta pronto,

--AnneK

1 comments :

Jaci said...

As a MUCH older Spanish student - retired in Cuenca, Ecuador - I'm enjoying exploring your postings.

En la Sierra del Ecuador es celebraba Día de los Difuntos el 2 de noviembre. Colada morada y guaguas son las traditiones en esta zona.

http://laylita.com/recipes/2012/10/23/dia-de-los-difuntos-or-day-the-deceased-in-ecuador/

Post a Comment