Sunday, November 1, 2015

Día de los Muertos y Halloween

Halloween and Día de Muertos snuck up on me this year somehow.  It seems like school is just a whirlwind of meetings to attend and paperwork to do, and I haven't had a moment  of peace.  Normally my Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica puts up an ofrenda, but we didn't get that organized this year.  Nor did we do anything to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, which is sad.

But I don't want Día de Muertos to go by without at least a little recognition so I'm going to do a comparison/contrast activity with my students. 

I figured we would start by watching these two videos and talk about the images, emotions, and atmosphere created by each one.

Halloween:


Día de los Muertos:


And, because you know me, I put together an activity for them to do as well.  I have a lot of Spanish 1 students this year so the article I have referenced  on the worksheet is in English.  I probably should put something together in Spanish too but, as I already told you, this sort of snuck up on me this year.

Holidays of Halloween and Día de los Muertos Compared - Activity by AnneK at Confesiones y Realidades

Since tomorrow is Día de los Muertos, I know my timing is bad and you probably won't be able to use this during the current school year.  I'm sorry.  But, put it up on your Pinterest board, save it to your hard drive, Tweet it, or whatever you like.  It will be there for you next year.

Hasta pronto,

--AnneK

0 comments :

Post a Comment