Friday, October 25, 2013

Flores de Papel

Tomorrow is the Fall Festival at school and my Spanish Honor Society students and I are doing a craft table for the event.  I would love to do something seasonal and topical like sugar skulls but I honestly don't have the time or funds to create hundreds of them.  Instead I have chosen to do paper flowers.  They are colorful and culturally appropriate.  To make them more seasonal, we are going to use yellow and orange paper to make marigolds - like the ones seen on the ofrendas for Day of the Dead.

Last year we put up an ofrenda ourselves with decorated skulls, papel picado, candles, flowers, fruit . . . the whole nine yards.  Sadly I don't have a picture of it.  Something was wrong with my image card and blah, now the whole thing is just a memory.  At least it's a good memory, right?


We had career day today at school and I lost a lot of class time so I decided to give the paper flowers a run through in class today before unleashing the project on an unsuspecting public tomorrow.  It went well, I must say.

And while I was at it, I figured I'd put together a project DIY sheet for anyone else who wants to make these or do them with their class.  The sheet is in English.  I had neither the will nor the energy to write it up in Spanish today.


You can click on the picture above to download the instructions and a couple of templates to use yourself.  I hope you have success with it and have fun with it too!  It's perfect for those days when you just have half an hour of distracted students.  It would make a great extra credit project too.

If you like it, I'd love to hear from you.

Hasta pronto,

--AnneK

0 comments :

Post a Comment