I found a website that gives excellent personality descriptions (en español, por supuesto) including positive attributes, negative attributes and a descriptive paragraph. Perfect for intermediate or advanced students! Take a look at it here:
Click for Spanish Zodiac Signs and Personality Descriptions
Once the students have read their personality descriptions and looked up any vocabulary they do not know, they make a Venn diagram to show the reality of the situation. I hope to get some pictures of those Venn diagrams up here tomorrow for you to see.
There are a couple of things that we teachers need to keep in mind when doing activities which involve the zodiac. I've made a short list of pros and cons for you.
- This activity is fun and the kids really enjoy it
- Students get to use authentic source material from online sites dealing with the zodiac
- Students utilize technology to complete this assignment
- Students get to talk about themselves and their friends
- Some strict religious families frown on the zodiac in all its forms. Prepare an alternate assignment ahead of time for them!
- You will need to make sure that you are clear that you are not condoning the use or the following of the zodiac, only using it as a classroom tool.
- If the Internet is unavailable at your school at the time of the activity, you won't be able to complete it. Plan ahead by making copies of anything you might need - just in case.